Sunday, November 29, 2015

Attachments


Just finished doing my quick review (I really mean it, quick review) on a book by Yasmin Mogahed entitled: "Reclaim Your Heart". Surprisingly I enjoyed reading a lot here maybe because I do have plenty of time to survey on current issues and good books to read. I suddenly have this kind of thought, "Wow, I am actually getting older, I'm in the phase to become an adult." LOL.

My definition of being an adult are:
1. Do bank stuffs alone
2. Read newspaper
3. Read more religious and political articles.
4. Drive car, stuck in traffic jam in 8 am and 5 pm.
5. Wear a shirt with blazer, a slack pants and black heels.

Yes, this kiddo Adda's definition of being an adult. It even made me go "wow" when I started to read news on political issues or world issues, and start to share thoughts and opinions with other people who (Thank God), having the same point of view as mine. 

Like for issues regarding the Paris Attack where some people blaming the Muslims for what was happening on that day were so irrelevant to me, there are few of my friends (surprisingly, non-Muslims) believes that all these sickening stuffs happening is not because of what religion you are, but it is all depends on humanity. They do believe each religion teaches good deeds such as to not kill people, to not abuse kids and other good deeds. So if they kill human beings, they are among those who said they believe in God, but actually they don't. So they let hatred to conquer their hearts and the results... well, you can see it on your own. Okay, back on my main point of this post hehe.

Often when I'm left alone with the thoughts in my head (this usually happens before I sleep at night), that's when I take the time to think and reflect upon myself.  Most of the time, I always feel disappointed after I do this. One of the reasons why is because I realize a lot of things about myself that I'm not happy about. When I say this, you must understand that I'm not talking about appearance or anything like that, but the way I lead my life and how I go about with everything. 

I am blinded by the pleasures of worldly things, I forget that all of this is temporary. I get attached to current trends, to people, and I end up always being the one that breaks because I don't realize that nothing in this world is meant to last. Not the way you look, not the people around you, not you. I need to realize, I need to realize, that we were put on this Earth to do good deeds before we die. And that the life after death is the one that is eternal. That should be our main priority in this life, and that should be the goal we set our hearts and minds to. 

I'd like to include an excerpt from the book "Reclaim Your Heart ".
 
"Ultimately, the question was about the nature of the dunya as a place of fleeting moments and temporary attachments. As a place where people are with you today and leave or die tomorrow. But this reality hurts our very being because it goes against our nature. We, as humans, are made to seek, love and strive for what is perfect and permanent. We are made to seek what's eternal. We seek this because we were not made for this life. Our first and true home was Paradise : a land that is both perfect and eternal. So the yearning for that type of life is a part of our being. The problem is that we try to find that here. And so we create ageless creams and cosmetic surgery in a desperate attempt to hold on -- in an attempt to mold this world into what is it not, and will never be. And that's why if we live in dunya with our hearts, it breaks us. That's why this dunya hurts. 

Only when we stop putting our hopes in dunya, only when we stop trying to make the dunya into what it is not -- and never meant to be (jannah)-- will this life finally stop breaking our hearts.

We experience this emotional roller coaster because we can never find stability and lasting peace until our attachment and dependancy is on what is stable and lasting. How can we hope to find constancy if what we hold on to is inconstant and perishing ? 

To attain that state, don't let your source of fulfilment be anything other than your relationship with God. Don't let your definition of success, failure, self-worth be anything other than your position with Him. (Qur'an, 49:13), 

And if you do this, you become unbreakable, because your hand-hold is unbreakable. You become unconquerable, because your supporter can never be conquered. And you will never become empty, because your source of fulfilment is unending and never diminishes." 

That was just a small part in Yasmin's book. (that I accidentally read during my quick review) and I'm so in love with this piece. It's giving me some kind of motivation and reminder. I will definitely get an Ebook or buy the book itself once I get back in Malaysia.

What made me suddenly have the intuition to read something like this was because I somehow felt like breaking inside. Especially when I started to think about my friends. I feel empty when no one asking me questions, or randomly texting me with their funny and lame jokes. Part of me was a little bit sad to see my friends' tweets among them which I wish I could join but I don't know what they are talking about, because we are now apparently not on the same boat. I wish I could go back now, do the same reports like they do now. Study with them till midnight for tests. Well, to make everything short, I miss my uni friends actually
(Wishing you guys all the best for exams, xx) 

I also misses my parents and family to the max. Seeing dad's family is gathering for my lovely cousin's wed bring tears of joy to me. Seeing the new-born baby boy in Telegram of my dad's family , seeing adik holding baby Saif in his hand - everything bring tears to me. I think it's true when people say you tend to appreciate more when you lose something or you find it's hard to grab that particular something. I should appreciate my family more after this. 사랑해요.

Thanks for reading.
xx

No comments: